Re: Commercial use of common house space.
From: Chris ScottHanson (chriscohousingresources.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:54:04 -0700 (PDT)
It seems that most common houses in most cohousing communities are used only a small percentage of the time during a day, and generally only between 4:00 pm and 8:00 pm. (with many exceptions, of course) The rest of the time they stand vacant - aging, decaying, waiting for human users to join them and make them useful.

It seems to me that the basic environmental principals of reduce, reuse and recycle would lead one to and understanding that we should use the common house in our communities as much and as often, for as many things as possible, so that other spaces do not have to be built to accommodate these uses. Put another way, the financial and environmental cost of building a common house should be amortized over many uses, for as much of each day as possible during its lifetime.

I would suggest that, the more limited or specific the use of any common house, the more environmental cost, and the bigger the environmental footprint of owning that common house.

Should we allow social complexity, taxation issues, and concepts of interpersonal fairness to add to the environmental cost of owning a common house? Keeping them in perspective, I think we should be motivated to move past those social and intellectual concerns.

Chris