Outreach meeting idea
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:17:22 -0700 (PDT)
 Having travelled quite a bit in the cohousing landscape I have forgotten
which group it was that did this but it seemed to be very effective. For an
outreach event they put on a community dinner at a local meeting room that
had a kichen; simple food, salad and vegetarian spagetti and bread and
during the meal people just socialized, introduced themselves and talked
about their lives, exactly what goes on at community dinner.  At the end,
they all did a circle and talked about their vision. Since people had just
experienced community dinner they were very excited and they got a clear
idea of what it was all about. Then everybody helped clean up, another
community building event. They then passed the hat and recovered their costs
and even made a bit of money.   If I recall correctly, they did three or
four of these events, and filled their membership with dedicated members and
had a waiting list besides. This seems so much more real and effective than
a meeting, and I understand from other conversations that some people who
come to cohousing get turned off cause it appears to be all about
archetecture and  having a high meeting tolerance.    I wish I could
remember the group it was, perhaps somebody who was part of that can remind
me?

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood Cohousing, Snohomish WA