Katrina Refugees
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 06:31:22 -0700 (PDT)
For those of you who are not 24/7 news junkies, the devastation from Katrina is unprecedented in the United States. There will be millions of households out of home and out of work. The government officials there are literally still in shock. Most of the official guesses about how long it will take to recover are ludicrously unrealistic. Disease from polluted water will shortly hit New Orleans.

Cohousing communities can help by offering to take a family and help them relocate. Most of our commonhouses are capable of housing one household for several months until they can emotionally recover and establish new roots.

Many of these people have lost everything -- not just their homes but their jobs. Their communities are literally wiped off the face of the earth or under 20-30 feet of water.

The Red Cross website is the best place to start but I've been unable to get in yet to see if they have started relocation.

http://www.redcross.org/

In the meantime one way to find a family in need is to watch for someone in your area who has friends or relatives in the devastated area who need help. This means you can take in a household that has some connection with your area, however tenuous.

We have a resident who worked for the Red Cross so she may be able to get information faster.

More information as we get it.

Please do this. It is one thing we are uniquely capable of doing -- particularly for households with children. Not many people can take in a household with children.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC