Re: Cohousing vs. HOA Communities
From: Pete Holsberg (pjh42verizon.net)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:35:56 -0700 (PDT)
Catya Belfer-Shevett wrote:

Hi Pete! How nice to see you here :)

Thanks. It's Dave's doing.

What other ways are cohousing and HOAs alike? Different? Bulleted lists
preferable. :-)

The primary difference, I think, is that the HOA in a cohousing group are the people who live there, not external folks.

Hey, I think you're more confused than I am!! :-)

What you call "the external folks" in an HOA are probably the management company that is hired by the HOA to do the day-to-day stuff -- paying bills, overseeing contracted services, handling requests from residents, etc.

Are you suggesting that cohousing residents manage their own property? As volunteers? How big a community can an amateur property manager manage? (Not suggesting that property management is brain surgery!)

Regards,
Pete