Re: Cohousing vs HOA
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:29:21 -0700 (PDT)
Lynn at RoseWind here. It isn't really "vs HOA" but as one reply noted,
vs "standard HOA". RoseWind Cohousing - in something like our 16th year
-is organized, not as a condo or coop, but- for reasons long faded into
history -a "nonprofit mutual benefit corporation" (not a 501c3, just the
most generic nonprofit), with a Homeowners Association.

We wrote our Bylaws so we are all Directors, and we have defined our own
governance, via consensus process, and our choice of committees.
Figurehead president and vice president positions are the only bow to
required conventions.

Being/having an HOA has essentially had no effect at all on doing things
the  cohousing way.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com