Cohousing HOAs
From: Joani Blank (joaniswansway.com)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:56:21 -0700 (PDT)
All except two or three cohousing communities in the US (which are cooperatives) are structured as condominiums or planned unit developments with HOAs. In my community, Swan's Market Cohousing (and Doyle St. Cohousing where I used to live), both in California every resident, actually every household is/was on the board of directors of the HOA. Our monthly community meetings are "official" meetings of the board of the HOA. In some other communities, a few people are chosen (usually by consensus, I think, as we cohousers are not big on elections or voting) to be on the Board and therefore are Directors while all the other households of the HOA and hopefully participate in as many regular community meetings as they can. Our communities are self maintained and managed, the Board of Directors (whether it is made up of everyone or of a smaller group of the residents and our communities are quite small compared to some condo complexes, so everyone knows what's going on most of the time., so conflict between the HOA and it's board (if that's as subgroup of our neighbors instead of all of us) is rare.

Joani

Joani Blank
510-834-7399
Cell: 510-387-1315