Katrina Refugees
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
It seems too soon for anyone to think about relocation -- including the residents. They just can't accept the reality of the situation yet. Emotionally they may be better off being in the middle of things rather than isolated outside the area.

People are now realizing how bad this is going to be and breaking down emotionally.

Craig's list is a good place for people to post messages for people seeking relatives and maybe a good place to post a message to find someone interested in relocating to your area.

I think the best way to find a family that needs help is through someone in your area who has relatives who need help. That way communities would be taking in someone who has local contacts and can be expected to establish roots more easily.

It seems odd but today I feel better because people are finally talking about reality -- or at least to some extent. The Astrodome is planning for people to live there for months and saying totally unrealistic things like the schools are going to take in all the children, estimated to be 2-3,000 kids. Helloooooow. Have they talked to anyone at the schools? Exactly which desks are those kids going to sit at?

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org

  • Katrina Refugees Sharon Villines, August 31 2005
    • Katrina Refugees Sharon Villines, September 1 2005