HOAs in Cohousing
From: Marta Vanegas, Concordia Organizer (adminconcordiacohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:57:15 -0700 (PDT)
In many ways, the idea is that cohousing is just a minimal deviation from the
conventional condominium.  The more "minimal" you can put the deviation in
terms of our PR, the better off we all are.  If we realize that cohousing is a
sub-category of condominium development, we can totally bring the concept into
the mainstream.  And the mainstream likes the idea of, say, recycling, healthy
building materials, reducing individual consumption while not reducing the
standard of living.  Oh, but you start to put out these big words like
Permaculture, or Sustainability, and people start to assume that we are
tree-huggers and weirdos forming a commune.  (Not that that would be a bad
idea, I'd be open for it, especially if I were ten years younger, uhm, and
single, LOL!)

Anyways, I now live in a condo community (more non-community, coz people are
quite private here), which is superbly managed by a resident Manager (paid by
the HOA dues) and of course there are lots of conflicts -- because people
disobey the rules.  Sound familiar?  Different standards, pet issues, parking,
pool privileges, storage at premium, etcetera.  Of course, if we had MORE
common facilities, a little friendlier set-up and the cars would be parked on
the side somewhere, to keep our children safe... it would be darn close to
cohousing.  (My husband indeed insist that I go ahead and propose some changes
to this effect at our next HOA meeting, usually attended by a few retired
residents.  Hah!)

Yours, mrv

Marta R. Vanegas
Community Organizer
Concordia Cohousing
admin [at] concordiacohousing.org
www.concordiacohousing.org

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

Cohousing - Building an Old Fashioned Neighborhood in a New Way