Associate Members
From: Judy Hecht (judheeyahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:47:32 -0700 (PDT)
At CoHo Cohousing in Corvallis, Oregon we are in the
design phase and marketing the last third of our
homes. As people apply for membership they first
become associate members and as they complete their
membership requirements, move into full membership.
Some people, for one reason or another, finances or
life-decisions for example, stay on the associate
member waiting list for a prolonged period of time. As
new associate members apply and move into membership,
the associate members on the list are contacted to let
them know that someone will move ahead of them in the
line-up of unit selection. They have the opportunity
at that time to become full members before the new
person. So far this has not been a problem but as we
near the last few units we anticipate that it could
be, especially if a really involved new person was
bumped by someone who had just had their name on the
list for a long time. How have other groups handled
this? Is there a limit for how long someone can stay
on the list? Are there involvement requirements for
people on the list?

Judy Hecht
CoHo Cohousing