Unit Choice [was Associate Members]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:22:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 13, 2005, at 4:42 PM, Judy Hecht wrote:

 So far this has not been a problem but as we
near the last few units we anticipate that it could
be, especially if a really involved new person was
bumped by someone who had just had their name on the
list for a long time. How have other groups handled
this? Is there a limit for how long someone can stay
on the list? Are there involvement requirements for
people on the list?

We selected units strictly on the basis of "first check first choice." After that people did swap and mix and match but it was purely by agreement between the parties.

Before the units were ready to be chosen, people had to put down a nonrefundable membership fee (per unit) of $500 (as I remember) to be considered a member and to hold a place on the selection list.

Then to get the construction loan we all had to put down 10%. After that new members had to pay the membership fee plus the 10% in order to hold a unit.

Commitment is important to the group. You can't move forward without it and it is unreasonable and unworkable for people to expect the group to do it. For whatever reason people cannot commit, that's life. We did have members of the group who loaned people the 10% when it was due by 6:00 today and their funds were not available "that day" but this was also arranged privately with signed letters of agreement.

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines
Building Community: A Newsletter on Coops, Condos, Cohousing, and Other New Neighborhoods
http://www.buildingcommunitynews.org