Re: Re: Use of Common Space
From: OCC611ng (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:34:28 -0700 (PDT)
Marta:

   Included in the title of each condo is a small exclusive use common area
in the back of the unit.  Normally this is a concrete patio, but sometimes
it is a deck.

   Some people would like to define a piece of community-owned land in
addition to their patio or deck as their expanded exclusive use common area,
and surround it by a fence.  It has been argued that if there is no upkeep
required from the community of this area, there logically should be no
charge for it.  In most cases there will be fences, in which case upkeep of
the fence might be a reason to charge for the space.

    As for parking spaces, there is a need for upkeep of the pavement.  This
can be a justification for charging a fee for parking.

    If we use the argument that anything required of the community for
upkeep of these facilities requires payment from the people using them, then
there is likely no double standard.  In fact, that will be the reasoning I
intend to follow in setting policy on private-use areas.

Norm Gauss