Re: Private use of Common Space
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 08:45:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 14, 2005, at 9:18 AM, Jeanne Goodman, JP Cohousing wrote:

Thank you, Sharon. Do you have any liability or insurance and safety concerns that have to be addressed? Do you ever have times when community members feel as though they don't have enough access to their own common house?

The liability issues are one reason we don't want to rent the commonhouse. If we rent, it raises liability expectations and would require us to post many more warning signs for example. It would change the nature of the space.

I don't think conflicts are common -- people just work them out. But that said some things have been moved to units or to local library community rooms, etc. So demand has slowed, I think, to a level that works without conflicts. If we allowed the space to be booked for repeated meetings on an annual basis (an ongoing book club, monthly bikers association meetings, etc.) it would get crowded fast.

We do have to juggle team meetings -- that drives me nuts -- but that is more a matter of figuring out a million schedules! I call it meeting roulette.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC