rentals in small cmties
From: Karen Scheer (karenmonkeyhouse.org)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:29:56 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all,

I am new to this list and part of the cohousing group forming in Ashland, OR (Fordyce Street Cohousing Community). We have a piece of land purchased and are awaiting the outcome of an appeal to LUBA so that we can commence with building.

Meanwhile, we have been discussing rental policy in committee meetings and thought it would be helpful to ask other cohousing groups, specifically smaller ones like ours (13 units), about their experiences with renters. The main concern we were hearing was that if too many of the members are away at once and renting to other folks, this could potentially create difficulties in maintaining the spirit and operations of the community. We would like to hear about ways that rentals have worked well or not so well in smaller communities so that we can better understand how renters might impact our community. Also, have groups found that there is a "critical mass" of members required for the optimal functioning of the community?

thank you for your responses!

Karen