Re: Re: Parking usage in cohousing?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 09:15:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 4, 2005, at 11:01 AM, aamato [at] worldbank.org wrote:

So I think the number of spaces depends on a number of factors:
- proximity to easy public transportation
- number of families with children
- whether on--street Parking is available
- useful stores within walking distance

I live in the same community as Anna (two doors down) and I would add that other factors that influence this is the number of two working adults in a household.

We are beginning more and more to share cars and more spaces are available but the situations where this is hard is when people just have to get to work every day and no convenient public transportation is available. And kids have to get to school as well.

Thus the location of your community as well as the needs of the residents will determine how many spaces you will need. In an area where there are good public schools near by or kids have access to school buses, this would not be a factor. In a small town where people tend to commute to the same place a car pool will reduce second cars significantly. And purchasing a community van would be a good option.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC