Re: Architectural Review
From: Michael Barrett (mbarretttoast.net)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:44:59 -0700 (PDT)
 At Liberty Village, Maryland we have had "issues", fortunately only temporary,
over exterior changes that individual residents desired.  We have found that as
an initial step for any proposed changes gathering and widely circulating
relevant information is very helpful.  To this end we have used a checklist
form (below and attached) which seems to capture the needed information.  This
has been helpful in both informal and, where needed, more formal resolution of
the issues.  If it seen to be useful, please use.  It is attached in both Word
and Excel formats.

Another point: We had problems getting volunteers for our Design Review Team
when it was perceived as having a "policing" function.  Now it has a specific
mandate to facilitate changes - an excerpt follows:

The mandate is to be positive, i.e. to try to facilitate implementation of
members' wishes to enrich and improve the utility and appearance of their
community surroundings, rather than negative and restrictive. The DRT will seek
ways to enable a project to move forward rather than ways to stop it. The DRT
will attempt to balance the desires of the individual with the wishes of the
community.

If friendly mutual agreement on changes, with DRT encouragement, is not
forthcoming the issue can then get referred to the community business meeting
for more formal resolution.  This way the Design Review Team is never in the
ugly position of needing to say say no.

Michael Barrett
http://www.libertyvillage.com

                    Checklist from: _______________________ For:
_____________________________________

      Date: ________________

      Description of change or addition. Sketches, dimensioned plans, elevation
drawings, real or simulated pictures

      What is the reason for the proposal? Who will benefit?

      Impact on the community at large - considering young, old, handicapped or
impaired?

      Impact on immediate neighbors - Do they agree with proposal?

      Impact outside the community

      Aesthetic: Appearance, noise & odor during construction and when complete.

      Traffic: effect upon vehicle, bicycle, pedestrian adult, child & animal
traffic patterns.

      Effect of 2 to 5 years on growth, decay, utility, maintenance

      Initial cost: Estimate made, to be paid by?

      Ongoing maintenance costs: Estimate made, to be paid by?

      Implementation and schedule issues - who will do the work, when, are they
appropriately qualified?

      List safety hazards, during construction and when complete.

      Environmental hazards to air & soil, animal & plant life, during
construction and when complete.

      Liability: personal & community