Re: Extrapolation of unit sizes from surveys
From: Hyghroad (Hyghroadaol.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 05:37:30 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Carey:

I don't have too much to share, but here are a few tidbits from our
experience here in Vermont.

 - I think including some kind of office/den space in any unit is critical,
people really look for that.

 - Our smallest unit is 2 bedroom, but our units have gotten costly. Having
one bedrooms or studios would have helped us with the affordability issue.
Though, most people that were looking for more affordable units were young
couples
or families so a small unit may have only served them in the short term.

- Once you make a design decision try to stick with it. Architectural fees
really add up. As most co-housers will tell you, making changes to Arch. plans
or doing custom work can really hurt the bottom line of the budget.

- We set aside lots that people can buy on which to build there own small
custom home. We sell the lots and leave the design up to the owner with review
from the Design Review Team. Almost half of our units are these lots. This left
an open end for us.

Kelly Devine
Common Pastures
aka Champlain Valley Cohousing