Re: Commonhouse tables....metal/wood/round/rectangle? (Modified by Sharon Villines)
From: Mac Thomson (macheartwoodcohousing.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:12:07 -0700 (PDT)
There is a lot of stuff in the archives about Commonhouse Tables but this I will share which is new.

In our membership meeting yesterday there was a suggestion that we take our tables down on Thursday night or Friday morning so there is room to set up the ping-pong table and/or let kids ride tricycle inside or just run around. Other members objected saying that having the tables up all the time was important to them and they wanted to be able to use the tables -- that was what was unique about the room.

This is after we bought very high end, very sturdy folding tables that have a wood rim with a formica inlay and very heavy metal legs that are very stable. They weigh a ton and take two people to move them.

I personally would advise solid wood tables that can be refinished and can seat 6 easily and 8 in a squeeze. 36" across minimum. (Dining tables are about 54") They can be pushed together to form larger tables. When you need to move them, you can stack them on top of each other 2-3 high. Or move them to the courtyard for the evening.

Folding tables tend to be only accessible on the sides so whoever sits at the end has a middle leg to deal with.

We rarely use our room without the tables. They are taken down every two weeks to mop the room but I personally do not think this is necessary.

Sharon

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC