Re: Re: Commonhouse tables....metal/wood/round/rectangle?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:08:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 25, 2005, at 9:18 AM, Randy Sailer wrote:

Our architect suggests narrow tables (36"). You might feel a bit cramped, but you reduce the noise level in your dining room (a common issue) by having folks closer to each other across the table.

Some have suggested tables even more narrow than 36" and I definitely agree that at 36" you feel cramped but it does make conversation easier. Although I find it makes conversation except with those right next to you difficult.

Perhaps it's because I grew up in the Southwest and the Plains States where there is no shortage of space, but I like lots of room between me and the next person. If I want to sit in their lap I will. Otherwise, I breath better with elbow room. 36" is narrow but probably best over all.

We are going to make some big round tops to fit over our small square tables so we can have a poker table like seating, for poker and for team meetings where we now have to put to large tables together. Round tables are nicest for group conversation but are hard to combine.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC