Keeping Cats from Killing Birds
From: meikamonagmail (meikamonagmail.com)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 03:57:35 -0700 (PDT)
Smarts cats learn to work with/around bells. Unless you increase the weight such that they cannot actually move… okay, bad suggestion.

However, some theorise that as birds respond to sudden movements more than the late tinkling of a bell, attaching sparkly plastic tinsel like tufts or strips (plastic bladders) to the ears somehow (studs?) might warn birds better. I've not seen it though.

Our cat caught striated pardalotes every spring, they nest in holes in the ground, and when they left home for the first time-- snap!

I found this very distressing.

Considering we fed the cat quite well, we realised that we were basically turning the products of the oil economy into death for the local birds. We were actively subsidising a predator, which could then take out prey who were not subsidised by our gee whiz economy. Just because it was cute. Or was. It got old and died and we did not choose to get another.

Some say pets can allow kids to experience nature. Maybe.

Maybe you can study geology by looking at concrete. Its hard. Its heavy.

Or maybe they are just meat puppets.

meika