Re: Requesting Letters to Editor
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 11:43:26 -0800 (PST)
I don't have time to go back and analyze any articles for any comments more specific than this but for what its worth:

I really appreciated the issue on conflict. We need as much of this as we can get! People are drawn to the idea of community as a way to avoid conflict. Nothing could be further from what they experience when they finally get over the elation of actually moving into their dream.

In the short run community emphasizes conflict. People must honestly confront conflicts and resolve them if the community is to function. The old standbys of ignoring, isolating, dominating, fencing, zoning, shouting, undermining, crying, and buying your way out no longer work. Push has come to shove. Everyone has an equal voice. No one's needs are more important than anyone else's (for long).

Most often, people equate conflict with anger, dislike, rejection, unreasonable demands, etc. This leads to magical thinking like "if we are just nice, all this will go away." "Just get along." "What we need is a good party." Of course this does work sometimes but not on the big issues.

More on conflict, please. Make it presentable.

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines
Building Community: A Newsletter on New Neighborhoods
http://www.buildingcommunitynews.org