Re: cordless phone, answering machine in the common house?
From: Robert (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 08:25:59 -0800 (PST)
At Eno Commons, we have a regular corded phone with no answering service. As the person who use to check for messages, I do not recommend the message service. When we had the answering service, I checked every day and usually there was no messages. However, when someone did leave a message (despite me telling them in the outgoing message that I only checked the messages once a day and gave my phone # but please only call me during the day between 9 am and 9 pm), they expected an more immediate response or called me late at night. It was either a waste of my time at best or an aggravation when they called me at night. We do not have an answering service and it is cheaper and I am happier.

We currently have a corded phone but I believe a case could be made for a portable phone so you can move to quieter location to hear the call.

BTW, if you do get a phone, your Common House is considered a commercial building so you will need to pay the phone company the more expensive business rate.

-Robert Heinich
Eno Commons Cohousing Neighborhood
Durham, NC
where we just celebrated EnoWeen and pictures will soon be posted to our website

----- Original Message ----- From: "Terry Whatley" <terry.whatley [at] gmail.com>