Re: Re: cordless phone, answering machine in the common house?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 06:57:36 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 5, 2005, at 9:27 AM, Mac Thomson wrote:

The responses to this post have really surprised me. We've never had a phone in the common house and never really missed having one.

This may be an influence of when your commonhouse was built? When ours went up we had few phones in the units and few people had cell phones. People still use it often for local calls when they are in the commonhouse working or using the computer. The call people in units as well.

It took some time before Verizon got our phone service up to speed -- they had paid no attention to our notices that a building was going up needing 100 new phone lines. Then when the guys came out to fix the lines on the poles, we found them sleeping in their trucks most of the time. We finally had to go to the VP level to get phones for everyone.

We also had an emergency early on and a baby died. The need to call 911 immediately was impressed upon us.

The additional hope was that parents could leave older children at home in bed and come watch a movie in the commonhouse and always be reached. I'm not sure that ever happened but being accessible was a reason.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC