Health Insurance Strategies
From: Rod Lambert (rodecovillage.ithaca.ny.us)
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 20:17:58 -0800 (PST)
All,
Have been wondering for a while what others are doing in coho world for health insurance.(there are many here still on the DGS plan -don't-get-sick) Has any group exploited the "buying power" of the group, such as it is. We were wondering, at a small meeting on the subject last night, whether pooling of money in any form has been tried. Could, for instance, the group work out a system where it would agree to pool its resources and pay all of an individual's medical costs up to say $10,000 and approach an insurer only for catastrophic coverage beyond that. It could keep increasing that large deductable as it collected funds. Any other creative ideas out there? We have the Ithaca Health Fund, a community based health plan but it doesn't yet cover a wide enough services list.

Rod Lambert
EcoVillage at Ithaca
(which built its 2nd neighborhood with a competitive, sweat equity, custom home approach)