Re: Shared Vehicles in Cohos
From: Chris ScottHanson (chriscohousingresources.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 07:59:15 -0800 (PST)
I am not an expert, but from second hand information I understand that it is difficult if not impossible to buy insurance to cover "acknowledged" car sharing. Guessing, you have to form a corporation and create a liability shell, and then insurance the corporation, etc.

If, on the other hand, I choose to loan my car to my neighbor once in a while, my policy covers me, the car and the driver I loan the car to. My policy with State Farm also cover me while driving borrowed cars or rental cars. NOTE that there should be NO exchange of money so that there is no commercial transaction.

Keep in mind that I am advocating only that there is a less formal, low key way to do this, as long as it is non-commercial.

Chris