Re: Middle units Dark or Not
From: Hyghroad (Hyghroadaol.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:43:09 -0800 (PST)
In a message dated 11/10/2005 10:13:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
TimClark [at] 2feetunder.com writes:

> The concern is that the center units in either case will be dark and
> nobody will want them.
>
> Is this true?

Here at Common Pastures in Charlotte, VT we currently have one Tri-plex unit
and one Quad-plex unit under construction and plan to build two more.

One big advantage to this configuration is that from the builder's
perspective he is building two larger buildings. There are surely economies of
scale,
over having to build -say 4 duplexes.

Here are some ways we dealt with light and space in the interior units.

1) Our buildings have a north/south orientation. Interior units only miss
east/west light.
2) Units are staggered which allows for some views and light in front and
back porches.
3) skylights were made available as an option.
4) Some units have vaulted ceilings on the second floor for an added feeling
of light an openess.
5) all units have lots of windows.

We are also using top of the line sound attenuation between units in party
walls.

I am buying an interior unit which from my perspective has some advantages,
namely, lower cost, less to maintain, cheaper to heat.

We don't seem to have that much trouble selling these units. One thing to
keep in mind though is, if you are looking to sell to families, think about
interior lay-out. Since these units tend to be small, your lay-out must make
the
most of available space.

Bonne Chance

Kelly Devine