Re: Middle units Dark or Not
From: fabers (stevecityvisioninc.org)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 07:27:09 -0800 (PST)
We discussed a similar issue during the designing of Newberry Place. We have 20 units, mostly duplexes and triplexes. Through the charette process we discovered that light was a key issue for everyone. To solve some of the light issues, we made sure all our buildings were oriented to capture the southern exposure. We have enlarged windows on the north and south facing walls. We also developed light-wells in the units that are basically a shaft that comes through the center of the home and gets additional light into the center of the unit. This light-well also serves a purpose for letting air circulate.

Steve Faber
Newberry Place