Re: Cost of eco building
From: Robert (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:04:57 -0800 (PST)
Every house in Eno Commons incorporates a geothermal heat pump and other green technologies.

From
http://www.ncgreenbuilding.org/site/ncg/public/show_project.cfm?project_id=174, "Advanced Energy did a follow up energy use study which proved that homes at Eno Commons on average used 60% less energy for heating and cooling than the average for homes built in the same time period (using Duke Energy's North Carolina database for 1998-1999)."

I seem to recall the upfront additional expense of a geothermal heat pumps was in the neighborhood of $5K (includes a $2K discount from economies of scale). So the payback period is about 5 years.

-Robert Heinich
Eno Commons Cohousing
Durham, NC
whose geothermal heat pumps are now beyond the payback period and therefore are free

----- Original Message ----- From: <Mlj45 [at] aol.com>