Re: Cost of eco building
From: Nancy Baumeister (nancybeepeak.org)
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:41:27 -0800 (PST)
This discussion on ground source heat pumps has been very interesting.

Do any communities have in floor radiant heating installed? How do the costs compare to other sources of heat? And how does the comfort rate? We are currently struggling with the decision of whether to go with the in-floor heat, or with hydronic baseboard heating, fired by a high efficiency gas boiler. We have two story townhouses and flats, with a concrete slab on the first floor. Both options offer a pathway to net zero eventually, probably by installing ground source heat pumps. The information we have to date seems to indicate that the in-floor heating will not be cheaper or use less energy than the in-floor heat, but that the in-floor heat is more comfortable. We are in a relatively mild climate (the pacific northwest) and there don't seem to be a lot of in-floor radiant heat systems installed around town that we could go look at. So any information would be welcome.

--
Nancy Baumeister

Thrilled to be member of CoHo Ecovillage Corvallis
http://www.cohousing-corvallis.com/index.shtml