Re:in floor radiant heating option
From: Philip Proefrock (architectcornellbox.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 06:09:49 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Belzer" <belzer [at] ns.sympatico.ca>
> Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Re:in floor radient heating option

> Is there ever an option of putting the heating in channel that have a trap
> door or access panels to avoid the jackhammer remedy?
> Kathryn, Chaswood Coho

Embedded-in-slab radiant heating is going to be much more efficient than a
system that keeps the tubing loose, since there would be much less heat
transfer.  And with all the loops and turns in it, it's difficult to imagine a
layout that would enable you to pull the tubing.

The accessible alternative would be a staple up system that is mounted between
the joists on the underside of a wood floor.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the situation being discussed, but after
construction, it should be a fairly rare case where the slab would need to be
jackhammered in order to repair a radiant system.  I assume it was an older
system with metal piping that had corroded and needed to be replaced.

Philip Proefrock
  architect [at] cornellbox.com