Re: Cost of eco building
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 07:33:52 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 14, 2005, at 12:37 AM, Deborah Mensch wrote:

It probably
doesn't help that the plumbers working on our construction seem to have made
a lot of errors

This is probably the biggest problem with new (or rather newer -- geothermal heat pumps are not new) technologies and eco standards. They are just completely unheard of to most construction workers and subcontractors.

I've written at length here before about the problems we had with subcontractors just not having read the contracts when they bid so they seemed to have no idea they were supposed to use different materials. Our complex was built twice with all the tearing out and starting again and we were still left with big problems. But it wasn't the technology, it was the installers.

Perhaps one guide to cost effectiveness in using green materials and technology is to choose those for which there is a good local installer and service person. If there is no one around who can understand and service the technology you are considering, think twice about using it.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC