Re: Parking Use not Numbers
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:46:24 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 14, 2005, at 1:12 PM, Dave and Diane wrote:

Even if you're urban and on a bike
trail I would say have at least a 1-1 ratio of "useable" spots to units.

This has worked well for us. We have several people who do not have cars and they rent their spaces to those units that have two cars. Over night guests often borrow spaces. At Christmas there are lots of swaps. "I'm away, Sally's guests are using my spot." Over time we have more and more car sharing so the second cars have evaporated along with some first cars.

But I would still recommend a 1-1 ratio because it greatly enhances the value of the unit at sales time and empty spaces can be used for a million other things -- bikes, as well as guests.

We have also had to assign spots because people wanted to be sure they had a spot when coming home late at night or in a rain storm or with a baby in tow. This has greatly reduced problems with "stray" cars in the lot.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC