Re: Bike lockers
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:42:43 -0800 (PST)
We have all the same problems at Takoma Village that everyone else has plus an increase in children from 3 to 18. There are not only bikes in use almost daily but bikes waiting for the next child to grow into. I think the lesson for new communities is to plan bike and other outdoor toy storage as carefully as you plan parking.

We have a plot of land on which we are considering building a building just for bikes and grounds equipment. Some thing secure but no electricity or water.

The area will also be recreation space for older kids and adults so one thought is to build a low building with a deck on top that can be used for play or sunning or whatever so we don't lose flat space.

Any ideas on what such a building might look like? For 40 or so bikes?

One thought is to do a demonstration project of an alternative material -- straw bale or greensandwich panels.

www.greensandwichtech.com

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org

  • Bike lockers Terri Hupfer, November 17 2005
    • Re: Bike lockers Sharon Villines, November 17 2005