Re: Old thread - New query - Worker's Comp
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:53:39 -0800 (PST)
On Nov 28, 2005, at 1:40 PM, Daniel Fallon wrote:

Crunch time for budgeting for 2006 and the issue has surfaced again.

The annual premium for WC insurance is between $450 - $500 dollars.

We do not carry workers compensation insurance -- instead we ask to see certification that workers on common elements are insured and licensed.

This means we pay more for services but are covered. We don't, for example, hire the neighborhood guy with a snow-plow to do the parking lot but pay $42 an hour to a service to have it done.

I'm not a lawyer but I think the association is only responsible to people it signs contracts with -- not to the people the contractor sub-conracts to -- unless of course the association knew the contractor was operating illegally.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC