Authentic Communication
From: melissa (melissanet-syn.com)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:29:41 -0800 (PST)
I recently moved into a small Northern New Mexico community (10 households). I am wishing to introduce a forum/vehicle whereby community members can express openly and authentically with one another what is "up" for them. We currently have no real means of community conflict resolution in place or anything established that can address community-wide issues, nor do we have any "check-in process" (or time for it) prior to meetings.

What we have established is a small Community Process Team (CPT) that schedules agendas for our Business Meetings (1x per month) and a "Conversation" (a looser version of the business meeting 1x per month). At my request, there is an upcoming CPT meeting to discuss such a forum.

What I am hoping we can create a "safe space" where folks can communicate authentically with one another and possibly prevent conflict/resentments through open sharing. I would also hope that a bonding process could come out of these gatherings. Myself and one other member practice NVC (Non-Violent Commuication) and would be able to help facilitate.

I have heard of some communities creating such meetings/circles that have worked well, but heard of others with low attendance . Does anyone have any input on what has worked well in their community along these lines? I would also appreciate hearing how well folks feel that authentic communication works in their community, and share any means by which that happens best.

Thanks in advance,

Melissa Schreck,
Tres Placitas del Rio