Re: Common House Laundry Survey
From: Robert (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 07:54:31 -0800 (PST)
1) How many common machines do you have, how many households do you
have in your community?

0 machines, 22 households

2) Does it seem like too many or too few washing machines?

Occasionally we muse about having a washer/dryer to handle the linens from the
common meals.  If one of our personal machines breaks down, we use a nearby
neighbors'.

3) If you had to choose between adding a laundry room and only having a single
entrance to your kitchen area and smaller pantry versus no laundry room and a
walk through kitchen area (basically an island/counter where you can have
people going in one side and going out the other) and a larger pantry, which
would you choose and why?

We had a washer/dryer in the original design of the Common House.  However, as
all the houses were completed before the Common House started construction, we
took out the washer/dryer and made the kids room larger.  I believe we are
still happy with that decision.

4) Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 the following aspects of a common laundry:
   a) Helps the environment (shared resource)
  3
   b) Encourages community
  2
   c) saves space in your units because you don't need to purchase machines
  1: the design will still allow a

     washer/dryer
   d) Helps the lower income members who would not afford machines in their
unit  3

Finally, help me brainstorm any other aspects of importance I can use to survey
our membership so we can create a decision matrix.

If all your units are in one building (i.e. Eastern Village), then one could
make a case for common washer/dryer.  If your development has detached homes, I
would lean against common laundry facility.  (Today, it is cold outside and I
am very glad that I can do my laundry inside my house.)

-Robert Heinich
 Eno Commons
 Durham, NC