Re: great rooms and ommon house spaces
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 13:22:47 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 6, 2005, at 4:12 PM, Sharon Villines wrote:

On Dec 5, 2005, at 8:45 PM, jim hanson wrote:

To help our
decision-making we could use more information about how the CH spaces,
especially the great room, are actually used. Having scoured this list serve for advice, we'd like to revisit the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" thread from 2001 (with our added questions on great rooms) and get updated info on
common houses from communities that are living in theirs.

I forgot acoustics.

FABULOUS ACOUSTICS: Make every surface of every wall and ceiling acoustically active. As much sound absorbing surface as you can. Plan to spend at least $10,000 on acoustical treatments and $20,000 will make you very happy you did.

Those with and without children will appreciate it greatly. It's fun to have the kids feeling free and happy in the commonhouse but for kids that means noise. With 18 kids, a lot of noise or a lot of restrictions.

If adults are to relax and not be reminding the kids to be quiet, particularly after the kids have left the table and the adults are chatting, you need soundproofing.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC