Re: Tricks for high-volume rice?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 07:48:01 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 7, 2005, at 8:48 AM, Jeanne Goodman, JP Cohousing wrote:

I'm making my first community dinner on Friday. I have two rice dishes each for about 30 people. Any tricks to making rice well at that volume?

Bake it. A fabulous way too cook rice. My recipe is for 4 so you can do the math:

2 cups brown rice, washed
3 cups water
1/4 TSP sea salt or 1 TBLSP Shoyu (Tamari or Soy Sauce)

Preheat oven to 350.

Place rice in a heavy skillet and, stirring constantly, roast over a medium heat until the rice is dry and medium brown.

Put water and salt in casserole dish and add rice. Water will sizzle as rice is added.

Cover and bake for 50 minutes. Mix gently and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

You can add bits of vegetables to make this colorful -- either before baking or when "mixing gently". Has a taste close to that of rice cooked in a meat stock so non-vegetarians like it as well.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Coauthor with John Buck of the forthcoming
Sociocracy: A New Power Structure for Ethical Governance
http://www.buildingcommunitynews.org/sociocracy/publications