Re: insurance
From: Daniel Fallon (psychlingatt.net)
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 08:56:17 -0800 (PST)
Leah ...

Baloney!

I am not an attorney.  Nor am I an insurance expert.

I have an experience of `one.'

We bought a freestanding house in a cohousing community.  The house was built
in 2001.  In June of 2005 we noticed that water was coming in around some
windows, that there was water damage and displacement of the window frames due
to freezing.

We went to the builder of the houses and he said ... it doesn't freeze in
Arizona (despite the fact that we're 5,600 feet high in a national forest on a
hill of a mountain where it does freeze).  Then the builder said that we didn't
paint it recently and THAT was why there was water damage (the house was four
years old).

Aftef a few efforts at diplomacy I just had an attorney get involved, a
licensed contractor did an inspection and documented the `latent defect.'  (The
idiot builder/contractor failed to put metal flashing around the windows and
other house portals).  We sent the builder a formal notice that this latent
defect existed.  He filed a claim against his insurance company.  A truckload
of suits (insurance company inspectors) showed up at our house and did their
own inspection.

The builder contractor will be repairing the damage, putting the house in 100%
good cosmetic condition, will be paying all my attorney fees.

An experience of one.

- Dan