Re: insurance
From: sga1 (sga1humboldt.edu)
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 09:41:38 -0800 (PST)
Hi Leah,

I'm down in Arcata, and I'm currently planning two cohousing communities
as well as my day job with a construction and development company. So
here's what I know--from the information you sent on, it sounds like the
insurance company is trying to sell you a construction "Wrap" policy, one
that insures your entire project (all "wrapped" together) for ten years
against construction defects.

I've spent the last six months trying to find a way, through careful
design, to avoid paying for a wrap policy on a set of 18 row houses in
Arcata, because the price tag was about $850,000 for $2 million of
insurance protection.

What I don't understand from you letter is why YOU would be paying this
fee, rather than the construction company. True enough, someone has to pay
for the insurance or be self-insured, but it seems unusual for it to be
the role of the co-housing planners or home-buyers.

If you'd like to talk more about strategies to avoid the Wrap policy, feel
free to call me at 707-825-1585.

Sean

Project Administrator
31 South G Street