Re: Architectural review of house modifications
From: Evdavwes (Evdavwesaol.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 05:42:35 -0800 (PST)
Hello, cohousers,

I am a member of _Westwood  Cohousing _ (http://www.westwoodcohousing.com)
in Asheville, NC.  I have a question about how  Architectural Review Teams and
decisions on modifications to units work in other  communities.

We have an Architectural Review Team that makes recommendations to the  Board
about changes to houses.  We have had several porches added or  enclosed,
rooms added, etc.

We recently had a situation where a proposal for a room addition was made
and approved, and the owner decided to partially complete the addtion-- to turn

it into an open porch rather than a room.  They made this change without
approval from the Board.

The owner, moreover, asserts that since the Board approved the original  plan
he has the right to complete the project as originally proposed at any time
in the future.

We are realizing that we may not have written into our rules and regs
appropriate language to require that any changes approved be completed in a
timely
way, or to require that the project be completed according to the  approved
plans.

Some associations might want to have a bond or guarantee that if the owner
does not complete the project the association would complete it and bill to the
 owner.

As you might imagine, uncompleted projects to the exterior of the house are
potentially unsightly, unsafe, or not in accord architecturally with the rest
of  the development.

How do other groups handle this issue?  Examples of language used in  the
common agreements would be helpful, as well as any stories of similar
situations.

Thanks

David Clements

David Clements, Evan  Richardson, Wesley Clements, Lila Richardson
43 Vermont Court,  #G24
Asheville, NC 28806
828-285-0601