Re: Children: Letting them work it out or micromanaging
From: Robert (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:49:40 -0800 (PST)
Boys with lightsabers. Adults who have diverse parenting styles. Shelly, I believe you and I are in same neighborhood.

Unfortunately, boys with lightsabers are too young to be in Common House alone and too old for the play structure.

At Eno Commons we are blessed with 24 on-site kids for 22 households. (Add a few more off-site kids of neighbors who moved off-site to get a larger house but remain close-by and active in the community.) For the most part, the kids worked it themselves and although occasionally we need to tell the older kids to take more care around the younger kids who want to scrap with the older kids.

We do have a few rules like no hitting (or hitting back) and include all kids in play. It is not perfect but seems to work good enough.

-Robert Heinich
Eno Commons Cohousing Neighborhood
Durham, NC
whose 4 kids (Simon, Larry, Sidney and Big Boy) are fuzzy-faced, neutered and indoors

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shelly" <shelldemeo [at] comcast.net>