Re: Children: Letting them work it out or micromanaging
From: Rachael Shapiro (rachaelecovillage.ithaca.ny.us)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 04:57:54 -0800 (PST)
Hi everyone- I have lived at Ecovillage-ithaca for over 9 years and with 60 kids living here we have been through many issues about what it takes to feel successful to parent in cohousing.

I think a growing sense of trust and safety- (given that there are differences in parenting styles and personalities)- is the key to feeling like parenting in cohousing is worth the added complexities. We talk with each other about it and if that is too difficult, we can get help with mediation. We periodically have parenting support groups which have been helpful. These have ranged from basic "speak from the heart" discussions about how parenting is going to specific discussions about current challenges. It has been a very good place to bring your frustrations and work on problem solving. I know how the extra meeting time can feel daunting but i think that if they are done effectively, they can really be helpful. It helps if there are a few "burning souls" that can share the focus of keeping the momentum going. Ours go in fits and starts.

Communicating our conflicts, supervision issues, establishing guidelines when needed, and inclusion/exclusion issues seem to be up there with the most challenging of parenting issues.

We have been very fortunate to have a husband/wife Montesorri teacher team that for over a year, facilitated a Kids' Council that met 1x a month. About 10-15 kids, ages 6-12 met, discussed and implemented projects of interest ( a kids' garden, a treehouse, a bike loop, talks of putting up a zip line), plus worked on conflict resolution stuff and discussed guidelines that the kids had input into, especially as it related to use of common areas. It helped to establish that they have a voice in the community. They also learned basic meeting skills-how to make decisions together, facilitating and a step towards effective communication skills. Obviously, this was labor intensive for the adults.

We have a dad's support group that has met once a month for years now and that has been very successful.

        How to have more simplicity in cohousing life is a great topic!

I am interested in the possibility of writing a book about raising children in cohousing and hope to share some of my thoughts about it in an upcoming email.
                                                Rachael