RE: Children: Letting them work it out or micromanaging
From: Prescott Nichols (pnicholsindigoarch.com)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:08:33 -0800 (PST)
Shelly,

I would echo Robert from Eno Commons's comments. There's hope! Get everyone
onboard with a few sensible guidelines and it really should simplify your
life as parent.

Things to keep in mind:

1) Cohousing is not an instant salve for children with special needs. It has
potential to be the best, most nurturing environment that a parent could
wish for, but some children have needs that require more supervision, more
buy-in from neighbors. A child care committee is a good venue for these
issues.

2) Adults without children have needs too. Make-or-break issues, like
sanitation at common meals, need to be discussed and respected.

3) It sounds like the children in your community are still getting to know
each other. As the years go by, many of them will form bonds with one
another comparable to siblings. The older kids will automatically look after
the little ones. (Not that that is a substitute for toddler supervision!) As
a parent of an 8th grader, I appreciate the value of these deeper
relationships more than ever.

  _____

Prescott Nichols
Muir Commons