Re: great rooms and ommon house spaces
From: Tree Bressen (treeic.org)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:10:27 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

For our great room/dining room, we are grappling with whether we should
retrofit (or build new) for one large (1000sf+) room or utilize 3 existing,
contiguous rooms/alcoves that could be used separately.  Is the size of your
great room a good fit for your community?  How is it used and is that size
dependent?  Do you wish it were smaller or larger?

I don't live in cohousing but i work a lot with cohousing groups and have spent time in many a common house. As a traveling meeting facilitator, i'd like to put in a plug for having one room in your place that is large enough for nearly all the adults to sit in a big open circle, and all be able to see each other (without doubling up, and without furniture in the middle). It seems like many architects don't think much about meetings, but it's one of the main uses of a great room, a basic community function like meals.

Cheers,

--Tree

Tree Bressen
1680 Walnut St.