Re: Mortgage referrals for construction lender due diligence
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 06:17:53 -0800 (PST)
Hi -

This list has discussed what phrasing in certain elements of the condo
association documents (bylaws and covenants, especially) that lenders need to
see
before they can be comfortable making loans.  In working with BB&T  in North
Carolina and in Maryland, they were especially interested in the resale  clause
(which may include a carefully worded "right of first refusal" clause,  but
needs to be otherwise free-market mainstream to encourage full lender
enthusiasm).  Check the archives for other advice - my recollection is that
Rob
Sandelin got going on this topic at least twice.

One thing lenders love about cohousing, and I think it is the reason that
BB&T seems to look for cohousing deals, is the percentage of  pre-sales.  A lot
of condo building has been done on spec for the last four  or five years and
now lenders are tightening up a lot.  Cohousing does not  build on spec - it
builds for a group of interested purchasers who have  typically put down some
membership money, signed an agreement to put in their  time and more money
later, and demonstrated their creditworthiness some way  (like getting
prequalified
for a loan).  If your group has not done these  things, do them.  They are
easy and they make lenders happier.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where we are having long drawn out discussions about cleaning our common
spaces."