Landscape Design/Pedestrian Paths
From: Karen Scheer (karenmonkeyhouse.org)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:47:57 -0800 (PST)
Hello cohousing friends!

Our cohousing group here in Ashland is getting very busy finalizing the landscape plans. In designing our pedestrian paths, we would like to create organically styled (flowing around natural contours and human movement, ie. not linear) pathways that would create areas for gardening, privacy and play in our common outdoor space. Our landscape architect is suggesting 1/4 minus Decomposed Granite (DG) for the pathways. There is some concerns about this material and how well it will work. Does it tend to track into homes and other places? Does it need a lot of repairs to prevent muddy spots? Does anyone have any experiences with this or suggestions for other materials to consider?

Also, we are looking at ways to make the "driveway" past the parking area pervious (rather than paved) so that water can flow through and we can have an open grass lawn. This area needs to be able to support the weight of the occasional car or fire truck so we are planning to reinforce it with a material that is being described as "egg-crate" below the surface of the grass. If anyone has any experience with this type of pervious surfacing or other suggestion we would love to know more about it.

I'd like to wish everyone a very peaceful holiday season filled with presence, magical moments & laughter. Reading the emails that come in through this list everyday, I am inspired by who you all are and your commitment to community.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!

-Karen Scheer
Fordyce Street Cohousing Community
Ashland, Oregon