Re: Landscape design and paths
From: terri's phch address (terriphch.org)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 21:39:37 -0800 (PST)
This is reponse to the question about paths . At Pleasant Hill Cohousing in Northern California, we originally moved in with DG pathways. Our first family moved in in Sept, and then the rains came. The paths never hardened, we slogged through mud the whole first winter. Then we waited through the summer thinking it would harden, it never did. We finally paved the paths at considerable expense, thank heavens we had the money.

As for the parking lot, we also hoped to avoid asphalt, but there the dust that kicked up during our dry summer was forever dirtying everyone's cars and blowing in our houses, so we finally asphalted that.

And yes, we have used the egg crate stuff under one of our lawns, as we needed to so that the fire trucks can drive in to access our houses if ever they need to. The main problem with that has been our children tearing up the arms and knees on it, since it doesn't cover well with grass, and that is the only long lawn they have for playing ball, running, etc.

Hope that helps.

Terri Hupfer
Pleasant Hill Cohousing