Landscape Design/Pedestrian Paths
From: Robert Finn (finnnasw.org)
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:10:45 -0800 (PST)
Here at Pleasant Hill Cohousing, we were originally excited to have decomposed granite pathways. We began to regret it immediately after move-in. The entire pathway turned into a muddy mess in even the slightest rain. We continually tracked the DG into our homes. When it was dry there was lots and lots of dust. After considering a number of possible causes (including that the DG may have been installed incorrectly, that it had not been given a long enough time to set before use, etc.) we came to the conclusion that this was just not a good material for a main pathway that gets a lot of use. After a long consensus process we finally agreed to replace the DG with paving stones at a cost of $32,000

And we had all these problems with DG even though we're located in an area that's very hot all summer long and gets no rain whatsoever for 6 months of the year. I may be mistaken, but I believe Ashland, Oregon may be slightly damper than that.

As a negative evangelist for DG, I'd be happy to share our experiences in more detail with any cohousing communities. Feel free to call me at 925-685-6993.

Happy ChristmaHannuSolstiRamadaKwanzaakah to everyone!

Bob Finn