RE: Landscape Design/Pedestrian Paths
From: Oilcloth International/Cardie Molina (oilclothearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:06:48 -0800 (PST)
Hello - DG (decomposed granite) is a great pervious material. It makes a
wonderful walking surface that sort of "crunches" beneath your feet. Like
walking in a botanical garden. It is a sensual experience to walk this type
of path and very nice.  If it is very dry you won't have to weed it but if
it gets water the weeds will come thru for a while. (not like pavers or
concrete), but it will be easy to pull those up and if the paths are used
often you won't have that problem. It is very inexpensive. It doesn't stick
to your shoes and shouldn't be a problem going in and out. It will need
refurbishing or shoring up after a few years but is not expensive. If you
have low spots then you just fill in with more DG. You could also have
brick/stone borders so it doesn't spread. We had our paths dug down about
about 4-6 inches and then filled with the DG. I think your Landscape
Architect has an excellent idea.
Cardie
.

"A New Oilcloth Makes the Whole Family Happy"(TM)

Oilcloth International, Inc.
www.oilcloth.com