Re: Landscape Design/Pedestrian Paths
From: dahako (dahakoaol.com)
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:44:09 -0800 (PST)
Hi -

Your subsoil really matters for this type of path surface. As does the depth of the installation (don't skimp, and maybe even go for more than your landscape architect recommends). Also, pay really close attention to how water moves across you site - will it cross the path or need to run along it? Then you need to address drainage or use another surface material, or plan to do lots of maintenance.

If you don't want it tracked into the houses at all, it helps to have at least 10 feet (about 6-8 footsteps) between the path and each front door, over grass, or hard pavers or rough finished concrete. And have a mat at each door for people to wipe their feet.

A friend of mine who uses a wheelchair to get around hates this stuff. She says the smaller particles get ground into her wheels and her floors and generally make her wheelchair dusty and this is hard for her to clean. This may be a consideration in your neighborhood and may not.

I learned all this researching for the pedway at Eno Commons in North Carolina. The path is on a mix of soils, mostly clay. Water moves across the path line in a couple of places and runs along it for most of its length. Most of the front porches start 8 feet from the pedway. Eno Commons eventually picked asphalt for the pedway and concrete for the sidewalks. It didn't have the pervious surface surface we'd hoped for, but it met the other criteria better.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where we had chocolate martinis, baked brie, and a warm fire at Happy Hour last night."